Sunday, December 11, 2011

winter run playlist.

For me, the change of seasons necessitates a change in music. Winter always draws me towards haunting melodies that have a slightly sad bent. To balance that out, I always like to add in some Christmas cheer and classic old-timey tunes. When I'm thinking of making playlists to run I like to think of songs that will keep me going,  keep me in a positive mind so I can finish my runs on a strong note, and remind me of winter and the snow around me. This is one of my winter running playlists that I've been jamming out to. Run, relax, and enjoy:

"Minnesota, WI" by Bon Iver
This is a beautifully composed song that gets you in the perfect mood for a winter run. This is also absolutely fitting since Bon Iver apparently took their name from the French phase bon hiver, meaning "have a good winter." 


"A Foggy Day (In London Town)" by Tony Bennett
A better song for cloudy weather? I think not. And the voice of Mr. Bennett can only make things smoother. 


"Set the Dark on Fire" by Turin Brakes
This duo brings a fast melody to beautiful lyrics which makes you want to run faster. Besides that, this song is nostalgic of winters and loves past, a perfect song to reflect to on your run.

"Santa Claus is Coming to Town" by Michael Bublé
An upbeat melody that makes you feel like doing high kicks with the rockettes. Or just picking up your pace, either one works. 


"Something About Us" by Daft Punk
This song absolutely reminds me of doing homework in the campus coffee shop during sophomore year at college. It adds a great techno beat to your run and gives you an opportunity to do a nice pickup.

"Come Away With Me" by Norah Jones
After the previous pickup you can slow down a little bit with this lovely, happy song from the inimitable Norah Jones.

"Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree" by She & Him 
An uptempo version of a great Christmas classic by Zooey Deschanel and M. Ward to get you in the mood for wrapping presents and online shopping after your run.

"White Blank Page" by Mumford and Sons
Another wonderful, haunting melody from a folk group. This fierce song will get you through the tough part of the run.

"Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!" by Frank Sinatra
Anything better than Old Blue Eyes? I think not. Anything better than snow for a winter run? Never! This duo is the perfect, upbeat song for your run among a bleakish winter landscape.

"Sweeter" by Gavin DeGraw
FYI, I love Gavin DeGraw and have for years. I think this a great song to start off the last part of your run.

"20 Years" by the Civil Wars
This male/female duo composes beautiful music with even more beautiful harmonies. This song is a great example to put in the playlist and makes you want to warm up with hot chocolate after your run.

"Baby, It's Cold Outside" by Glee Cast
This is my all-time favorite version of my all-time favorite holiday song. Perfect sweetness to end your run. 

No comments:

Post a Comment