Tuesday, June 26, 2012

relax.

Disclaimer: this post is not about the usual food, fun, fashion, travel which I usually write. Rather, it is a note that the universe gave me and I am passing it onto you, because it is often a message I find myself overlooking.

Putting it simply, this past week was not my best. After several days of battling my stomach I finally ending up fainting during my dog's vet appointment, which was quickly followed with a trip to the ER, where I was admitted for dehydration and exhaustion. I'd like to think that this gives me celebrity status, since that's what the young actresses are often admitted for quite often. However, this was not due to binge-drinking but a solid four days of being unable to keep down much food. While I am not sure what caused this stomach flare episode, one thing it did teach me was that even during summer, I do not just relax and let it go. I was so stressed about all the things I was unable to get done while I was bedridden, but in the end that was really just negative feedback for my digestive issues. What it took to get me this reminder to chill out was a surprise visitor of the best kind from across the country.

On Friday afternoon I was lying in my bed, contemplating all the levels of misery in my life at that exact moment, when the one person who I desperately needed to see walked through my door holding my chihuahua. My boyfriend coming to see me from his job in Atlanta had to be one of the absolute sweetest things anyone has ever done for me. At soon as he gave me a hug and said hi, I knew I was getting better because I felt like I could finally stop worrying about all the external things, because someone was there to help take care of them for me.

Suddenly, all the things I should have been doing: meeting with professors and reading books for my degree became less important or certainly less urgent. Everything could wait, at least until I was better and not as sick. My boyfriend visiting put the important things into perspective, and I suddenly felt myself getting better. I sometimes let the urgent crowd out the important, but this past week put it all into perspective. It took the sweetest boyfriend and some really good food to remind me that things will wait, and that when sometimes you just need to relax until you feel better - the world will wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment